Saturday, February 27, 2010
To Run or Not to Run
I need some advice from my runner friends. I started running again and want to do a race this summer. I have never raced before although I used to run a lot. I think the longest distance I ever have run at one time was 6 or 7 miles and that was a couple of years ago. I have run on and off since then. I have only been running probably four or five times since Kellyn was born and I'm surprised how quickly I've improved. When I started I seriously couldn't even run for five minutes. (Probably had something to do with the feeling that all of my insides were somehow not attached anymore and they were bouncing around...oh blessed childbirth...) But I can run a couple of miles now without dying. So, here is my dilemma: Thanksgiving point is starting a half-marathon race this year. It is on April 24th. That would give me about 8 weeks to train. Could I do it? Should I do it? Would you do it? Will I burn myself out if I try to do it? Is a half-marathon too big to do for my first race? I really would like to run it. I need some input. Thank you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I would totally go for it! I am not a runner at all and i trained for about 2-3 months last summer and did a half marathon and it was fine! I am not competitive though and just did it for fun! good luck girl!
You can do it! What's the worst that could happen? If you can't RUN the entire race, just walk part of it! I'm proud of you for running again. Go girl!
You can do it!! If it were me, I wouldn't try to win it, but you could totally do it! Last year, I did a 5K in April, and only ran for a few weeks before it,and it was pretty easy. I wish that I'd done the 10K or 1/2 marathon.
I would say go for it! But just be careful. Increasing mileage and speed too quickly can up the risk for injury...hence my injured Achilles..Blech! I found this nine-week training schedule for a half-marathon, it may or may not be useful. Good luck!
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-6851-0,00.html
Oh! There is also the Utah Valley Half Marathon in June if you felt like you needed to train longer. :)
Post a Comment