
Thank you for the feedback on the rat decision. Despite some advice, I decided that I needed to get some rats anyways. So I did. We decided to purchase our pets from Petco. Unfortunately my regular Petco wasn't carrying female rats and that's what we wanted. So we drove down to Riverdale to check out the Petco there. Thus began the drama. Upon asking the man with many piercings and tattoos for assistance in obtaining our rats, he asked through his giant lip ring, "are they for feeding a reptile or for pets?" I was a little disturbed. Especially because right on the rat cages it says "Petco does not endorse feeding live animals" or something along those lines. While he was helping us get them, he proceeded to tell us about the giant lizard he has who eats one big rat per week. Sad and gross. Not something you should tell someone who's buying rats for pets. Duh. So another creepy guy with many piercings and a bad attitude rang us up and we were outta there with our new children, cage, accessories, and Jared in minor shock that we had spent that much money on rodents. (I had to buy the rat manor...my rats deserve the best.) So we got them home, got their high rise mansion put together, and let them explore their new place. They seemed pretty happy. Fast forward to the following day. Jared says "That little one looks different than the big one." I say, "Yeah...let's look a little closer." Well turns out the little one had something the other one didn't. We actually didn't have two girls. I was pretty upset because I knew we needed to return them. First of all, we wanted two girls. Second, we didn't want rat babies. Third, we didn't want to just return the boy and get another girl because who knows if she would also be having rat babies since the incompetent employees of Petco can't tell the difference between males and females. I actually cried knowing I had to take them back to the store where they had a very good chance of becoming dinner for Lip Ring's lizard. It was a sad day. Especially when we went in to take them back and the bad attitude cashier from our previous visit made some crude comments about them breeding that I won't repeat, offered to castrate the boy with the scissors he was holding, and also offered to take the rat babies off of our hands to feed to his reptiles if we wanted to keep the female rat. Um...thanks but no thanks. I left my pets in the hands of the pierced idiots and left feeling pretty discouraged. We decided to check out Petsmart to see if they had anything better to offer. And they did! They only sell females, they didn't say anything about feeding them to a reptile, they seemed very educated, and they didn't have any interesting piercings. So we are now the proud parents of two new FEMALE rats. And I have found a new favorite pet store. So anyone with pets out there...let's boycott Petco. Petsmart is the way to go.
P.S. We're still not solid on names for them. Any rat name ideas?

3 comments:
I'm happy for you, Jared and 'the girls'. I guess 'grandrats' will just have to do until I get a human grandchild.
You need to post pictures if you want everyone to fall in love with your 'children'. We'll be waiting to see who they look like, you or Jared. lol
I'm seriously laughing out loud at work right now at both your post and your mother’s comments. I will never understand the love of pets but I'm so happy that they make you happy! I have been baby hungry lately...maybe I should take a stab at being a pet lover. I have formed quite a bond with Casey's mother's horse. She’s in the coral in our backyard and she always comes to me! Either she really just likes my personality or it could be the sugar cubes I give her.
Ha ha amen to what Raquel said. I think my co-workers may have heard me laughing at your post, and then your mother's response. Yikes. It's easy to see where you get it from :).
So....I told you I wasn't a pet fan. Well, I went home this weekend to find that we now have a hamster, named Hammy. Nice, huh?!?!
Good luck with the "rat children"
Post a Comment