Thursday, April 29, 2010

I. Am. Tired.

After Kellyn was born, I was assured that she would eventually sleep through the night. I have waited patiently and longed for that day. I am still getting up to feed her two or three times most nights. I am so tired. I'm losing brain cells here. My short term memory was the first to go and I can feel my sanity slipping away. Okay, I'm being dramatic. But seriously...I need eight hours! HELP ME! What should I do? The only advice I've gotten is to let her cry when she wakes up. It's hard to do this when Jared has to wake up at 4:30 AM to go to work. But is that the only way? Because if it is, maybe he can sleep in the car. I'm that desperate.
P.S. I also have diaper anxiety. Sometimes when she wakes up and is crying I think "well I know she's not hungry but she's probably wet. I can't let her cry in a wet diaper!" But if I go in to change her diaper, she screams her head off and so I have to feed her to calm her down. Is it ok not to change her diaper all night? Is that sanitary or is she going to get some crazy incurable diaper rash from too long in one diaper?

8 comments:

Trent and Whit said...

I know how you feel. Grant won't sleep through the night either. Jane was easy to train--we let her cry it out a couple of nights and she was cured. Not Grant. He's stubborn. And just like you said, the husband has to get up early for work so what do you do? Don't worry about wet diapers at night. She'll live (and so will her bum). Poopy diapers are another thing. . .Good luck!

Rhiannon said...

I think what is of more importance is your rest. "If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy." Crying it out is all I know that works. Our Dr. told us at Maeva's 6 month check-up that she should be sleeping through the night & it's ok to let her cry for a little while, because a lot of why she does that is because she know we will get her. Also I read yesterday that babies have cycles of light sleep where they toss & turn & cry a little bit, but they aren't even awake. So I would give her 10/15 min or so before you go in there. Soon enough she will get it that you are not going to go in there & she will start to sleep *hopefully! I know it's case by case, but like I said I really don't know anything else to do. Also you can get Jared some ear plugs :) I think your family would be happiest if you were getting the sleep you need, so I really do think that is priority. I have no idea how you are surviving! That is amazing to me.

matesen said...

I had the same problem with Jackson! His pediatrician told me to stop feeding him in the middle of the night (she said after 6 months they don't physically need to eat in the middle of the night). When he woke up I would just rub his back for a few minutes and then usually he would cry for just a couple minutes and then fall back asleep. After a couple of weeks he was sleeping through the night. Also, don't worry about wet diapers-you only need to change her if she is poopy.Anyway, good luck!

Kati said...

It is totally acceptable for her to sleep in pee! I started this little trick with Em the first week of life! It works...

Januari and Jaden said...

I would definitely stop feeding her in the middle of the night. But everyone is different on getting her to sleep through the night. I think the key is to choose a plan and STICK WITH IT! Also, before Waylon slept through the night, his diapers would be so wet that they would soak through his pajamas. But once he started sleeping through the night, his diapers were so much better.

Debbie said...

Agree with the advice given so far. That's all that worked with mine (oh wait... that would be you!). See how good you turned out?! I promise it will get better. A couple of nights of crying and you'll probably be done.
Good luck!

Vance Family of 5 said...

I am certainly not claiming to be an expert on the subject, but I know that letting Gage cry it out was the only thing that worked for us. Luckily it only took a couple of days and he was trained. Our pediatrician also told us that he didn't need to be fed in the night after he turned 6 months. That helped me feel better about it. Also, I agree with the diaper advice. As long as it's not a poopy one they are fine until morning! I know it's so hard, GOOD LUCK!

Shiree said...

Pray. Seriously. Pray with faith. You will be led to talk to the right person or look on the right website or whatever.

We highly reccomend "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth.

But praying is the most important. :)