Saturday, September 4, 2010

We Heart Books





I love books and I hate salesmen. Hate is a strong word--I don't hate the person but I hate it when someone is trying to get me to buy something. It usually seems too shady for me to feel good about. We just purchased a new car and that experience solidified my anti-salesmen sentiments. I never thought in a million billion years I would join their ranks. I mean I even have a no-soliciting sign on my front door.

Well, it turns out that my love for books has catapulted me into the world of sales. But I totally have a good reason so hear me out!

I really REALLY REALLY want to have a big home library for my kids. Jared and I both love to read, I was a teacher, and I know how important literacy is for children. So I've been trying to buy books gradually--nice hardback books that will last, that are engaging, educational, and preferrably on sale. For Kellyn's birthday I told everyone she needed more books cause I just can't afford to buy that many and she is a book-aholic. (Thank you everyone who got books for her--she loves them all!)

Then someone told me about a chance to sign up to be a "consultant" for Usborne Books. (Okay, yeah, a salesman.) I was so not into it. Then they said I could pay a small fee to start and then I would get lots of free or discounted books and I was only obligated to do one book party. So I said "sure, what the heck." I got my starter kit in the mail yesterday with a bunch of new books that I ended up paying less than $2 a piece for. As I started looking at them I realized they were amazingly high quality books for a really low price. Seriously, I'm not being a salesman here! So I read the stuff they sent me and watched a couple DVDs and now I'm totally into it!

I was originally planning to get my cheap/free books and then drop off the Usborne Books radar so I didn't have to be be one of the annoying salesman that I despise. But I think this could be a really great opportunity for me to get a lot of books to add to my library and to offer my friends and family the same. Oh my gosh I totally sound like a salesman! NOOOO!!!! Anyway...

I'll wrap this up--here's the deal. I am going to be throwing a kick-off book party in the next couple of weeks. If you are interested in getting books for kids of any age, I can help you get them for cheap or for free. 80% of the books from Usborne are less than $10 and they are really great quality.

I'm really excited about doing this and would be so happy if some of you could help me get started! If you come, there will be free treats and no pressure.

IF you think you are interested in getting some of these books, PLEASE leave me a comment and I will send you an invitation to my first show. It will be at my house in Lehi. If you can't come but might like to buy some books, let me know and I'll get you info on how to do that.

If I were you I would be rolling my eyes and thinking how much I did not want to go to another sales party cause there are a million other things I could be doing with my time. But, if you are planning to buy books for your kids, this really is a great way to do it.
Thanks everyone!

6 comments:

Trent and Whit said...

for not being a salesperson, you have me sold! Call me, I'd love to chat with you about this. I found out you can get incentives for recruiting consultants. . .want to recruit me? 801-792-4511

Amy said...

Absolutely I do! I actually think they have a reduced price for joining right now that's ending soon. That's why I signed up. I have no idea what the heck I'm doing yet so I will talk to someone who does and call you.

Debbie said...

I want more books so I'll order some from you. Congratulations on your new career! lol

Angela said...

Amy you are so funny. I want books! But I don't want to go to Lehi....maybe do you want to email me w/info?

Kristin said...

That was a turn of events! I hear you on the anti-salesman thing. Buying our car was awful for me-- but I hear you on the books thing. I hope our kid loves books, because we're going to have them whether he likes it or not! :) Let me know when you have the party- I would love to come!

Rhiannon said...

SOLD! What a pitch! This will be great for you. Let me know what I can help you with.