Monday, March 3, 2008

There's No Place Like Home...




You may be asking yourself "why is Amy wearing a box and wrapped in tinfoil?" Well, let me answer this question for you. We had Literacy Night at my school last week. It is a HUGE deal. 700 people came, the school served dinner, some authors came and signed books, and there were 12 rooms with "book themes" that people could rotate around to different activities. Another teacher and I were assigned to do The Wizard of Oz in her classroom. So the lady in charge assured us that we would have costumes for that night. The other teacher (coincidentally named Amy also) was going to be Glenda (as you can see). I was supposed to be Dorothy. (Please note italicized word.) So the big night was coming. Amy had already gotten her costume. Still no Dorothy dress. I talked to the lady in charge. She assured me it would be here and they just needed to pick it up. The day of this event, still no Dorothy dress. Mrs. In-charge still told me I would have a costume for that night. I was beginning to have my doubts. So Amy and I had the bright idea that I could be the tin man. (AKA "aluminum foil girl"). I thought I'd just cover a box with tin foil, get a funnel for my head, and then hopefully the Dorothy costume would show up so I wouldn't have to wear a box all night. Well, when I arrived at the school, I realized my dreams of Dorothy were long gone. We frantically wrapped my legs in foil, used a little duct tape here and there, tied the funnel on my head with yarn, and put a box on. I was the tin man. Is it fair that Amy looks like a fairy princess and I look like leftovers? I don't really think so. The best part was that I couldn't move because the tin foil would rub together and start falling off of my legs. So for 2 hours I stood and pushed "play" and "pause" over and over while little kids played musical chairs to the same two songs. (I never want to hear "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" or "If I Only Had a Brain" again.) Also, most small children looked at me with wide eyed terror and some kids asked if I was Dorothy or the Scarecrow. (Are you kidding me!) Apparently the foil and funnel didn't give them a very good hint. The highlight of the night was when my husband showed up to see me in all my aluminum foil glory.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Leave it to my girl to be the creative one! You looked great, but a little like leftovers. I bet Jared loved it! lol

Fish Nat!on said...

gosh you look neat